At Atlanta Center for Cosmetic Dentistry, we understand the importance of careful planning, thorough diagnostics, and high-quality fixtures for dental implants to succeed.
Below is an inquiry from a patient of another practice who experienced dental implant failure.
I received three dental implants last summer, and the experience has been so stressful that I feel overwhelmed. 1 of the 2 implants failed. The whole process has taken so much of my time and money that I regret getting them. I chose a dentist after consultations with 4 different dentists. Despite my planning and checking his credentials, I chose the wrong doctor.
The implant was extracted and I have lost confidence in my dentist. I worry about having him complete another implant and the necessary bone graft. Should I give him another chance or run before it’s too late? Thanks. – Seth
Seth – Although you’ve had a difficult experience with one of your dental implants, we commend you on choosing dental implants to replace your missing teeth. Dental implants are the most effective form of tooth replacement.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
When dental implants are placed by a highly qualified dentist or oral surgeon, they are successful. Some of the benefits of dental implants include:
- They look and feel like natural teeth.
- The presence of the artificial tooth roots stimulate your jawbone and prevent bone shrinkage.
- It’s easier to care for dental implants than other forms of tooth replacement.
- They last longer.
- If the restoring dentist is skilled in cosmetic dentistry, you’ll receive lifelike crowns for the implants.
Reasons for Implant Failure
Below are various reasons that problems can arise with dental implants:
- The implant dentist lacks the training and skill to properly plan for and place dental implants.
- Lack of training in current techniques and best practices can lead to implant failure.
- Cheap implant fixtures can loosen, break, or cause infection.
- Lack of jawbone density can cause your implants to heal improperly.
- If you smoke, proper healing may be hindered by the restriction in your mouth’s blood vessels.
Schedule a Second Opinion
We recommend that you schedule a second opinion with one of our dentists to discuss your options. Our doctors are highly trained and complete cosmetic cases every day.