The Atlanta Center for Cosmetic Dentistry has highly trained, cosmetic dentists who provide natural-looking, same-day crowns. Veneers are
Below is a question from a patient of another dental practice about switching from same-day crowns to porcelain veneers.
In early September I received three same-day crowns. By the end of the month, I was sick of them. The crowns hurt. My dentist has taken them off and bonded them back on four times, but they are still very uncomfortable. I regret getting the crowns, and now I am looking into other options. I no longer trust my dentist which makes it impossible for me to talk to her. Is it possible to switch from same-day crowns to veneers? If so, what’s involved? – Tammi
We understand that your experience with same-day crowns is very frustrating. The following information will help you better understand your options.
Why Veneers can’t replace Same-Day Crowns
Unfortunately, you cannot replace crowns with porcelain veneers for the following reasons:
- Preparing your natural teeth for crowns requires tapering your teeth on every side so the crowns fit over them.
- When natural teeth have been tapered for crowns, porcelain veneers cannot be bonded to them.
- With the tapering of your natural teeth, the back of the teeth would be exposed and much more likely to attract bacteria and decay.
Are Same-Day Crowns Really the Issue?
Same-day crowns are an effective way to protect worn, damaged, or badly decayed teeth. In the hands of a skilled cosmetic dentist, they have several advantages:
- At the Atlanta Center for Cosmetic Dentistry, we have the technology to make same-day crowns.
- The artistic talent of our cosmetic dentists ensures you receive lifelike crowns that match your natural teeth.
- Our dentists have extensive training in occlusion and bite treatment to provide you with pain-free crowns that fit well.
If your dentist has repeatedly removed your crowns and bonded them back on again, there could be an issue with one or more of the following:
- The preparation of your natural teeth
- The way the crowns were created
- The method for bonding the crowns
We recommend a second opinion and examination from one of our accredited cosmetic dentists. The doctor will check your crowns and bite to determine the cause of your pain and give you options for obtaining a comfortable and beautiful smile. Call us at 404-994-6996 to schedule an appointment.