Same-day crowns are made of ceramic. At the Atlanta Center for Cosmetic Dentistry, our accredited cosmetic dentists can provide you with natural-looking same-day crowns. If you’re interested in metal-free alternatives for dental crowns, one of our cosmetic dentists will let you know our options. There are several facts to consider to help you understand your choices.
- Metals and Our Physiology
It’s understandable that you want metal-free crowns. The same-day crowns offered at the Atlanta Center for Cosmetic Dentistry are made of ceramic. Although humans don’t consume pure metals, it’s helpful to remember that certain metal ions are essential in our diet and essential to life.
- Sodium – Although sodium as a pure metal is toxic, when it is combined with chlorine, it becomes sodium chloride—or salt—which is essential to life.
- Iron – Although metallic iron isn’t healthy to consume, iron ions are an important part of our diet. Iron ions are found in the hemoglobin of our blood, and they give blood its red color.
- Other metal ions – Many metal ions are needed for a healthy diet and adequate nutrition. Some of them include:
- What about Ceramic Crowns?
- Lithium – The metal lithium is in the same family as sodium and is found in ocean water. It is reactive and flammable and does not occur freely in nature. It can be found naturally in its ionic form combined with other elements. Lithium disilicate is a very strong ceramic. e.max crowns are made of lithium disilicate.
- Zirconium – Combined with oxygen, zirconium is known as zirconium dioxide, or zirconia. Zirconia is a high-strength material that is used in aerodynamics. Zirconia crowns can be used to make highly durable dental bridges that do not require a metal framework. Other ceramics are not that strong.
- Porcelain – Although porcelain has been used to make dental crowns for many years, it isn’t that strong. It is mainly used for front teeth and teeth that are not used for chewing and grinding. Dental porcelain contains kaolin, a clay that is comprised of silica and aluminum oxide—an ion, not a pure metal.
- Same-day crowns – At the Atlanta Center for Cosmetic Dentistry, all of our dentists have advanced training in cosmetic dentistry and the use of all-ceramic same-day crowns. If you have concerns about metal allergies or sensitivities, CEREC crowns might be right for you.
- Unsure? Get Tested
CEREC same-day crowns technology
If you’re uncertain about your metal allergies or sensitivities, schedule an appointment for testing with an allergist before you ask for same-day crowns or any other type of dental crown. The precaution will help you avoid any dental materials that can cause a reaction, and it will give you peace of mind.