At the Atlanta Center for Cosmetic Dentistry, our cosmetic dentists restore dental implants with lifelike crowns. If you want to replace missing teeth but also want to have your teeth aligned, should you complete treatment with braces or get dental implants first?
Dental implants and the bone fuse
Consider the facts about dental implants and orthodontic treatment.
- They are surgically implanted and fuse with your jawbone in three to six months.
- Implant fixtures are usually made of titanium, although some are made of zirconia.
- If you lack jawbone density, bone grafting may be required. After the graft heals, your implants will be placed.
- After the dental implants and jawbone fuse, dental crowns are attached to the implants.
- They look and feel natural.
- Unlike natural teeth, they don’t contain ligaments that will stretch and move during orthodontic treatment.
- Orthodontic treatment, including Invisalign®, precisely aligns your teeth.
- Sometimes orthodontic treatment is used to move teeth and make room for dental implants.
- Although orthodontics will move your natural teeth, dental implants won’t move. If you already have dental implants, care is needed to ensure teeth don’t move incorrectly and get damaged by the implants.
Dental Implants After Braces
In most cases, orthodontic treatment is completed before dental implant surgery. As teeth move with treatment, if they get too close to dental implants, they can be damaged. But sometimes orthodontic treatment is needed even though a patient has dental implants. Careful planning is required to avoid damaging teeth and their roots.
Dental implants are rigid and anchored in your jawbone. The cosmetic dentists at the Atlanta Center for Cosmetic Dentistry work closely with oral surgeons to ensure accurate placement of your dental implants and crowns. You’ll receive implants that look and feel like healthy natural teeth.
If you’re interested in implant crowns that are durable and look completely natural, schedule an appointment for a consultation with one of our cosmetic dentists.
Call us at 404-994-4509 to schedule a consultation or complete our Request an Appointment form.