At the Atlanta Center for Cosmetic Dentistry, our accredited cosmetic dentists have extensive training in CEREC technology to craft a natural-looking crown while you wait. Although a tooth can be beautifully restored with a CEREC crown, if you chipped your tooth, a crown might not be necessary. We will let you know your options, including ways to preserve more of your natural tooth structure.
An Alternative to CEREC
In most cases, a chipped tooth can be restored with composite dental bonding. Like CEREC, composite bonding is completed in our office. Our accredited cosmetic dentists conceal chips in teeth so well that people won’t be able to tell your tooth was ever damaged. Here’s how:
- Your dentist will select the appropriate shades of dental bonding to match the color and translucence of your natural tooth.
- He or she will clean, dry, and lightly etch your tooth.
- The bonding will be applied to your tooth.
- Bonding will be shaped and hardened with a curing light.
- The bonding will be trimmed, further shaped, and polished to match the luster of your natural teeth.
All of the work is done right in our office.
Porcelain Veneers for Chipped Teeth
When dental bonding is insufficient, porcelain veneers are an alternative. How do they compare to dental bonding or CEREC crowns?
- Veneers only cover the front of your teeth. Dental bonding is applied to the affected areas, and crowns cover the entire tooth.
- Preparation of your teeth is more conservative than dental crowns, which require the entire tooth to be tapered.
- They last longer than dental bonding and are stain resistant.
When Are CEREC Crowns Needed?
CEREC crowns are a good option to protect badly worn down or broken teeth that can’t otherwise be saved. If your tooth was chipped so badly that there was internal damage to it and root canal treatment was needed, a dental crown will be used to cover it. For a crown to fit correctly, your natural tooth needs to be tapered so the crown will fit over it. The extensive reduction of your natural tooth structure usually isn’t necessary for a chipped tooth.
Only highly skilled cosmetic dentists have the skills, variations of dental composite, and tools needed to replace the missing portion of your tooth and make it look completely natural. Even if you need a CEREC crown, you should only select a dentist with years of experience using the technology so you get the best results. We welcome you to schedule an appointment with one of the accredited cosmetic dentists in our office.
Call us at 404-994-4509 to request an appointment, or complete our Request an Appointment form.