Are porcelain veneers the right solution for improving the appearance of peg laterals? Your lateral incisors are the teeth adjacent to the central incisors (center front teeth). Peg laterals, or short lateral incisors, affect about 2% of the population. And more women than men are affected.
Short lateral incisors affect about 2% of the population!
In addition to porcelain veneers, there are various treatment options that can improve the appearance of peg laterals. But how do the options compare?
Correcting Peg Laterals
Before treatment options are recommended, your teeth and gums will be examined. Diagnostic studies will also be taken to determine the position of your teeth. Below are possible solutions, including porcelain veneers, to improve the appearance of your teeth.
- Cosmetic bonding – Dental composite material can be blended to match the color and translucence of your natural teeth. The composite material will be shaped to lengthen the teeth. After the composite is hardened, further shaped, and polished, it will seamlessly blend with your natural teeth.
- Gum contouring – Gum contouring is an option when it won’t expose tooth roots and cause sensitivity in your teeth. A dental laser can be used to shorten your gumline around your lateral incisors so they appear longer. At times, gum contouring is used in addition to porcelain veneers.
- Orthodontic treatment – If your lateral incisors have not fully erupted, or if they are not in the correct position, orthodontic treatment might be recommended.
- Porcelain crowns – Dental crowns can be used to cover peg lateral incisors. Your incisors will be tapered to accommodate the crowns. Tooth reduction is more extensive than what is required for porcelain veneers. Dental crowns are bonded to your natural teeth. Porcelain can be manipulated to match your natural teeth so well that people will think the crowns are your own natural teeth.
- Porcelain veneers – After your lateral incisors are prepared, thin layers of porcelain can be bonded to them. Porcelain veneers are custom made to fit your teeth so t
A single porcelain veneer
hey won’t irritate your gum line.
Whether your peg laterals are restored with porcelain veneers or some other form of cosmetic dentistry, the aesthetics and durability depend on the skill of your cosmetic dentist. At Atlanta Center for Cosmetic Dentistry, Dr. King and Dr. Cooper are accredited by the American Association of Cosmetic Dentistry. They have completed rigorous exams and tests, and they have submitted patient cases that prove their ability to beautifully enhance smiles. We know you will be pleased with their work!
Request a Porcelain Veneers Consultation
We welcome you to schedule a consultation with one of our accredited cosmetic dentists. We will explain if porcelain veneers are an option for correcting your lateral incisors, and we will let you know the alternatives and the results you can expect. Call us at 404-994-4509, or request an appointment online.