Myth: Invisalign causes bad breath. Some people speculate on whether the odor is caused by the plastic material the aligners or made of, or the fact that the aligners are worn 20 or more hours per day.
Maintain good oral hygiene while wearing Invisalign
Fact: Invisalign is made of a high-quality patented thermoplastic material that is FDA approved. The material is free of BPA, BPS, latex, and gluten. The aligners don’t cause bad breath. There are basic guidelines for taking care of the aligners and for maintaining good oral hygiene during Invisalign treatment.
Keeping Invisalign Aligners Fresh
- Don’t eat or drink while wearing Invisalign.
- Brush your teeth after you eat and before you put the aligners back on. Floss at least twice daily.
- Use a tongue scraper once or twice a day before brushing your teeth. It will remove bacteria and debris and keep it off of your aligners.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Clean the aligners daily with a soft toothbrush. You can also use Invisalign cleaner, gentle toothpaste, or baking soda.
- Maintain your regularly scheduled hygiene appointment, or receive cleanings more often if your dentist recommends it.
What If You Already Have Good Oral Hygiene Habits?
If you are doing all the right things to maintain good oral hygiene and still have a bad odor on your breath, there might be another cause. Some possibilities include:
- A cavity
- Gum disease
- Your diet
- A medical condition
If you wear Invisalign and are experiencing an unpleasant odor or taste in your mouth, speak with your dentist about it. If necessary, your dentist will consult with your medical doctor or refer you to your medical doctor to determine the cause of the odor.
Interested in Invisalign?
Invisalign is a great way to straighten your teeth and rejuvenate your smile without anyone noticing you’re receiving orthodontic treatment. There are several advantages to this treatment:
- Faster treatment time
- Fewer checkup appointments
- Much more comfortable than metal braces
- Precise alignment
- Removable for eating and oral hygiene
- Virtually invisible aligners
If you’re interested in beautifully aligning your teeth in half the time of traditional braces, contact us to request a complimentary consultation.