If you suffer from severe tooth decay, a broken tooth, or an infection, a root canal may be required to resolve the problem. Fortunately, advances in the dental arts have made this procedure far more comfortable to experience.
If you or a loved one need a root canal or have one scheduled, you want to know what to expect during the procedure. At the Atlanta Center for Cosmetic Dentistry, we are dedicated to providing the most comfortable and effective dentistry – and the first step is educating our patients.
Here are the basic steps you can expect during your root canal in Atlanta, GA:
- The first step is anesthesia. We use local anesthesia, which involves a simple injection into your jaw and gums. It usually takes effect within 30 to 45 minutes, at which point we are ready to begin.
- We then place a protective shield around the target tooth to protect the surrounding teeth and prevent saliva from entering the area.
- Once the tooth has been prepared, we make an opening in the tooth to remove the infected pulp to prepare it for filling.
- The hollow area where the pulp was is then filled with a biocompatible material (usually a rubber-like substance called gutta-percha).
- We will then cap your tooth with a temporary crown.
- A custom crown is created for the tooth to replace the temporary crown, which perfectly matches your other teeth in fit and color.
What about recovery after the procedure?
Recovery like what you may have experienced after getting a filling, except that numbness might last a little longer. The sensation may last two to three hours after the procedure. You will need to avoid chewing on the treated tooth until the final crown is in place and avoid eating until the numbness has subsided.
Our team at the Atlanta Center for Cosmetic Dentistry is your home for a healthy, functional, and gorgeous designer smile. If you are considering a root canal, contact us today for top-level, exceptional dental care in Atlanta, GA.